I spend a lot of my time helping people find babysitters, trying to find fill-in's for my families when I am not available, and discussing with people appropriate pay, how to interview, etc. One of the ladies that I nanny for threw out the idea the other day that I should start something similar to the nanny agencies here, but do it specifically as a Christian agency. I've been thinking through the idea and although I'm not super excited about starting a new business or anything, it has occurred to me that I spend much of my time doing what those agencies do and if I made it official I could do that job even better.
I would like to get some other people's input on the idea and see if there would even be enough interest and also would love any ideas for thing you would like to see.
Here is a general description of what I thought would be helpful for families and nannies/babysitters:
- Conduct interviews of all incoming nannies/babysitters and have all their information on hand
- Interview/meet with families to hear what they need, what their routine is, and what they are looking for in a third-party caretaker
- help match care-takers with families (like match.com but for babysitters and families...right?)
- Set up a "classifieds" so that when you find yourself needing an emergency babysitter there is a list of already approved, responsible babysitters to contact. This works to the benefit of everybody, babysitters can chose to be available for last minute calls and pick up extra work and families know they aren't just getting some random person they know nothing about.
- "Shared" nannies would be much easier to come by with this system...I am a shared nanny and can at times be juggling three or four musician/traveling families....this works because I end up knowing I have full-time work...this doesn't always work because I need to find fill-in's for certain days. If we had a network of nannies within our community it would make scheduling easier on everyone. As it is my friends and I have our own little "network" and fill-in for each other and pass off jobs when needed.
- I would also make this blog more consistent (now that I have Internet) with tips on working out confrontation, nanny searching tips, and other helpful tools for families and nannies alike.
- As much as I'd like to do it for free I would need to be making some income for my time being the "go-between" person so there would be a percentage cost from either that babysitters/nanny income and possibly a one-time fee for the families to join
So what do you think?
Throw the idea out?
Run with it?
You tell me...